Monday, April 27, 2009

What I've been up to

I told myself that I wouldn't put personal stuff here because I tend to rant and drivel and it's just not a happy thing for those in reader-land to experience.
But, I'm stressed, so here I will let off some steam and try to get everything in perspective.
Here are the things on my stove burners:
  • This Project. It's at a murky stage of "Spend the next 2 weeks hammering out a model, and learning anything needed to do so." I have sketches of the front and side view, and tried last night to set them up as image planes, with most success except for a critical bit. But hey, everyone laughs when they see the sketch out.
  • Programming 3. I'm doing quite well in the class, currently ahead on homework, but I need to learn all I can or the Masters in CS will hurt a lot.
  • La Boheme. An opera, produced by Rogue Valley Opera. I'm the Technical Director. Meaning I need to hire a run crew to move the scenery around, both from city to city (Central point to Grants pass to Medford to Central point again) and during the show. The budget is small but I think I can do it with 6 people. I had 4 signed up, but one just dropped out. So I need to find 3 more people by about Thursday. And get a lot of stuff moved from SOU to Grants Pass. And many other things. Silver Lining: it's paying theatre work.
  • I was supposed to fix a friend of my Mother's printer weeks ago. They live somewhere between Grants Pass and Medford. I was bad a didn't call back their messages a while ago, and now they wont respond to mine, unless I got the wrong phone number.... If I ever do get around to this they'll pay me.
  • I turned 25 two weeks ago. "Welcome to the quarter-century club!" quips my (older) sister. [Insert lots of 'I'm getting older' worries and such here.] So I ran a mile on the track and timed myself: 7 minutes and 44 seconds. I'm kinda proud of that... Though I should exercise more often.
  • Takeing the GRE, so I can get into the Masters in CS program. Need to sign up, need to study. The better I do, the better chance of overcoming the competition for Assistantship money.
  • I finished the online application for the MCS just now, and forked out $50. On the up shot, I have my under grad diploma. Need to get a fire proof storage thingy for that and other important papers (Birth certificate).
  • Find 3 faculty to write letters of Recommendation for said MCS.
  • Write my own 'letter of intent' for MCS. According to an inside source (Dan Harvey, who will be reading this letter) the point is to get me thinking about what I want to do, not to prove that I have clear intent. Which is good, because I have no idea. I like coding at it's core (more so when it compiles than when it does not), and I like the 2d game I started last term (Tank Game on the blog) and I like making things in Maya (ask me again after working on this puppy for a week...). I'm shoving that one off the stove for now, hopefully it will congeal more in the pit of my subconscious.
  • Kids. They're everywhere. They seem cuter than in years past. Things I read or see wax poetic about how family and raising the next generation is the only true lasting reward in life, and I don't gloss over those parts anymore. Do I have a biological clock? Last summer I hung out with one of my co-workers and her friends. They are Mormon, and invited me to several of their church functions. I never was looking to convert, just hang out and explore the religion a little. One of the things I realized was just how important family is to them, and not just in the lots of kids sense. To put it simply, some of this family first philosophy stuck too. It's creepy because I'm not ready, monetary or self development-wise. This kids-family just bounces around in the back of my mind rather than occupying the front, but it's there.
I can't really say as I feel better, but that could be the small breakfast talking. I guess I feel good that I can have all these plates spinning up in the air and only one has dropped, kinda.

OK, time to remember math for the GRE...

No comments:

Post a Comment