Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Out of Time

Well, the wire is fast approaching for the final projects. In the theatre, on of my former professors had a saying of sorts: "Completed mediocrity is better than incomplete genius." A half finished project will never be as good as a finished one, and when the curtain goes up you'd better be finished.

For the tank game, I feel I've learned a lot. Using as3, using classes, creating things at run time or setting them up on the stage and referencing them; learning wise this was a successful project. Playing it is kinda fun, but it is very obliviously not finished. I never did get the wall collisions down, and the rest of my many to do lists.. AI is the big one I want to still get at, as it is a big learning goal. Setting up levels and a reset button and a score board are smaller hops. Here's where I say that even though this is it for the class project, I'll still finish the game. Well, I don't know if I will; I tend to get distracted by new projects and leave off the last 30% of details and polishing, which feels like 50% when your doing it.
Anyway, links. Here's the Fla file, then all the supporting classes: Wall, Crosshair, BadGuy, Main, Shell, and Turret. Download if you want to see my conglomeration of code. Most of it is in Main, which is both the 'class' for the player's tank and the controller that calls to all the classes through pointers, or arrays of pointers. The walls each have a different instance name, and the player tank doesn't need one as it uses the Main class. The others are created at run time.

[edit] Please let me know if the links are broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment