Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Looking at the nerd


I was looking around google images when this popped up as part of a posting referring to Time magazine's putting out a top 10 list of top 10 video games of 2007. The image has nothing to do with the article other than Halo 3 getting the top spot and Microsoft owning the developer of Halo.
It's small enough that I can't read the year but from the disk ole bill is holding this has to be from the eighties.
I'm wondering about the goals of the photographer who took this. For me the disk takes first focus, followed by bill's eyes and glasses area. I suppose that follows the goal of the cover to be about this new-fangled thing called software.
Not to go into too deeply about how this picture would be done different now, almost 30 years later I can't help but notice that bill's face is nearly blending into the background, and a very different color from the hand 'holding' the disk.
The background kinda lends a halo or glow to bill's head, but the mutual colors making him blend in and have orange skin- did people like bill in the 80s? It doesn't look like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment